- This week we are celebrating the anniversary of all sorts of firsts with Alex – mainly our first meeting with him and our first family day! It’s really hard to believe that we met our precious boy 3 years ago.
- To celebrate our Family Day (with is Friday), I’m planning on cooking Korean! Not sure what yet… but I’ll figure it out. Wish me luck! I’ve been told there is a good Asian grocery in London so hopefully I will have luck getting supplies there.
- Speaking of food – last night I made this – pretty tasty!!
- Alex is completely addicted to the app – Talking Larry. Last night Matt and Alex were giggling for a good 20 minutes, talking to Larry and hearing him repeat what they were saying in a chipmunk voice. The laughter was totally worth the $1.29.
- So I took the camera class a week or so ago. It was a 5 hour session on a Saturday and I must say I learned quite a bit. I wouldn’t say everything was brand new – but I did learn tips about when / where to use certain settings (the instructor focused on a lot of the presets). Like using landscape when taking a picture of a group of people rather than portrait and a portrait setting when talking a picture of a tree if you want to focus on the tree etc. I really learned that if I want to be more satisfied with my pics I need to get outside and into better light. The windows in our house are not cutting it.
- We bought a boat! We went down to the Toronto Boat Show and found a great deal on a utility boat (aka tin boat). So we now have a boat, a trailer, and a motor (30hp in case you were wondering). It was one of our goals for the cottage property for the year – so now we can do more up there! Yeah! Some of the boats there were amazing. Like 1+ million dollar boats – crazy! Alex was in his glory – driving all the boats he could get to. We also got to watch Duma the water skiing dog.
- Knock on wood… Alex seems to have kicked the whiny phase for now. He’s got a lot more giggles and is just an awesome kid. I really need to do a Alex growth and development post…
- Alex and Matt have been sick with a cold for the last week or so. As of today, I’ve come down with it too. Not cool. I have to go to Toronto on Thursday for a conference, and the train leaves at 5:51am, so I need to be in my best form to handle that long day!
- Some of my current favourite books to read to Alex include: The No Good Do Good Pirates, The Circus Ship, and Have You Ever Seen A Moose Brushing His Teeth?
- I’m reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern – anyone else read it yet?
I could hardly believe my eyes when I was looking at my WordPress dashboard yesterday – 4998 comments! That is huge! So I decided that the 5000th commenter will have to get something special – don’t you agree? And guess who it was? Belinda from Belle and her Boys! I am quite happy that it was Belle. She is one of the Ontario girls that I have had the pleasure to meet numerous times (as well as her twin Barbara). I’ve drawn on her support and knowledge in adoption and parenting countless times. So she is going to be getting a little treat in her mailbox in the next week!
Thank you everyone for supporting Matt, Alex and I since April 2008 when we started Robinsons are Waiting – and now, When You Wish Upon a Star.
I just got a total boost – I was nominated by the one and only Christine at 12450 miles for an award!
Three rules apply to this award:
1. Thank the person(s) who gave this award to you.
2. List 7 things that people may not know about you.
3. Pass it on to 15 other bloggers.
Thank you Thank you Thank you Christine!! Christine has been one of my longest blogging buddies. We both pretty much started the adoption process from Korea for our boys at the same time back in 2008 and have been friends ever since. Matt, Alex and I even traveled to Boston in 2010 to meet her and the adorable Spencer. Christine is a wonderful mother, photographer, creative soul and I wish we lived so much closer!
7 Things… well… I’ve been blogging now going on 4 years – I hope I have 7 interesting facts that I haven’t shared!
- I can’t whistle or snap. Not sure why – I try – but my body won’t work that way!
- I was a bit of a geek growing up – surprised? When I was young (grade 1 ish), I would do math homework pages for fun… even in the summer. Mind you my mom did pay me a penny a page… perhaps I just was after the penny candy for the corner store.
- I have a desire to go hand gliding. Not skydiving or bungee jumping, but hand gliding. My dream place would be in Rio – I watched it on a travel show once and think it looked amazing.
- I am a horrible speller! I rely on spell check quite a bit – that’s why I use Chrome online – has an auto spellchecker 🙂 I also have really bad handwriting – thank goodness for computers.
- Growing up Cory Haim, Keifer Sutherland, and Neil Patrick Harris were my teen idols. I was also convinced I was related to Keifer since we had the same last name… you never know… we might be!
- I always have to have lip balm with me. I can’t stand having dry lips – especially at night. Sad thing is is that Mason also loves lip balm and has chewed up more tubes than I can count!
- When I watch something on tv that is embarrassing for the characters I have to change the station and go back a few seconds later – drives Matt crazy!
Passing it on to the wonderful…
- Emily at Love to You
- Belinda at Belle and her Boys
- Barbara at Mommy’s Two Monkeys
- Amanda at Pursuit of Poppy
- Rachel at In His Hands
- Joanna at Little Bit O’Seoul
- Kelly at Uninterrupted Prosperity
I know – not 15… but I have to ensure you all have people to link to too 🙂
- Happy New Year Everyone! Our New Year was very low key. We enjoyed a raclette meal with Matt’s parents and watched hockey and eventually the NYC countdown. Alex even stayed up (not by our choice) to ring in the new year. It was actually quite fun having him with us – he was so excited!
- I reviewed my “goals” for 2011, and sadly I’m not even going to try to do a recap. Let’s just say I didn’t meet most of those goals. But that’s ok. I had a number of other accomplishments.
- My top 3 books of 2011 were: Hunger Games (the whole trilogy), Secret Daughter, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. What was yours?
- I’m trying to decide which of two events to attend on January 21st – a camera class by a local photographer or the Lunar New Year celebration for the Korean Children’s Children Association. It’s rare to have a camera class held locally – especially on a date that I’m not working… so I’m leaning that way. Perhaps a Korean meal on Sunday?
- I’m watching Water for Elephants as I type – loved that book! So far the movie is really good too.
- I started reading a very emotional book – Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of Loss and Love by Xinran. I had to stop reading – not because it was a bad book, but because it tore at my heartstrings so much. I highly recommend it if you wonder how mothers of girls in China can give their daughters up. As you can imagine – it’s not an easy choice.
- I have been having some fun creating Etsy Treasury lists 🙂
- Alex has become very paticular about what he wears. Everything must be either Montreal Canadiens, Spiderman or Superman – as a result we have had a few major meltdowns in the morning. So I found some great deals at Sears today – a Spidy tee shirt and a zipper hoodie, and 2 joggers for under $19 – taxes included! Great clearance sales! He was over the moon for a new Spiderman shirt.
- Tomorrow is Matt’s birthday! He will be 36. An interesting note – he was born on January 4 and I’m November 4 – same year. Sadly his birthday present I ordered will not arrive in time 😦 – It is supposed to be delivered on Thursday.
- Goals for 2012… well – wasn’t sure if I should bother this year or not. I hated not reaching many of them last year. But what the heck – here is what I’m wanting to do:
– Take a camera class
– “Get Off The Couch”! And do the Stratford Hog Jog in June
– Get crafty again! Starting with Move and organize my craft room. Ikea here I come!
– Make Alex a bedspread. I’m having a very hard time finding a duvet cover or comforter for his room that I like, is kid friendly, and is a double.
– Go on a vacation with Matt – sans Alex (sorry little dude) – but we really need it!
So just a few things that I think are reasonable enough to attain!