Today we had Alex’s registration for “Junior Kindergarten” or JK as we tend to call it. JK is the first round of Kindergarten, then they move on to Senior Kindergarten when they turn 5. Registration was fairly simple – fill out a few forms and visit some stations to meet their future teacher, to visit the public library booth (which was reviewing the kids library website that I designed) and a station from the Health Unit that went over the “Nipissing Test” – but we had also done that when Alex turned 3 so we didn’t stay there long. Alex wasn’t very impressed I must say… and he isn’t super excited about school – but I’m hoping that will change closer to next September.
But really, I’m not very excited about him going to school either! It’s hard to imagine Alex hopping on a bus all by himself next year, and navigating through a large public school to his class all by himself, and then somehow find the bus again, get on, get off at the right stop and then walk home. He will only be 4! So I’m planning on driving him to school every day, and Matt will be picking him up most days as well. There is some question as to whether or not Alex will be able to continue attending this school when he gets to SK. They want to make it to a complete French Immersion program school and ship him across town to a school that I’m not super keen on him attending. One of the reasons we moved to the neighbourhood that we did was so he could attend the “preferred” school in town. So we will see how that goes…. There are a lot of people fighting this change, but in the end it will be up to the school board.
Crazy but our boy is growing up!
Missed Tuesday… again. I’ll get my act together one of these days.
- Well since I’ve turned the big 3-5… I’ve been falling apart. Some not so fun things going on – nothing serious – but on some antibiotics for the last week and I swear they made me worse than I did before taking the meds. See the Dr. again on Tuesday – hoping for a clean bill of health.
- The weekend after my birthday Matt and I went to the US shopping with some friends. The girls shopped together and the guys sat in the pub for a bit… then shopped. Made a decent dent in the holiday shopping and also bought a few new things for me (jeans, warm fuzzy sweater from JCrew, shirt). The following day on the way home we went to… Target! I know it was silly to be excited about Target – but I hear all my American friends raving about the cool finds they get there so I couldnt’ wait. I wasn’t disappointed… but I wasn’t really super impressed either. To me it felt like a nicer WalM*rt. I did get an Elf on a Shelf there – can’t wait to break out our new holiday friend! The dollar was pretty much at par so the deals were not super good as we would have liked.
- One thing that really annoyed me was the price of gas. When converted… we paid about $0.75 a liter. We are paying over $1.18 here – just 3 hours away. Argh!
- I have my holiday cards all designed… except I don’t have any pictures taken yet to put in them… sigh.
- Anyone else super excited about Breaking Dawn Part 1 being released tomorrow? Tickets are purchased – can’t wait!!
- Our basement is almost half done. The drywall is up and primed, the ceiling is plastered and textured. This weekend we need to get a coat or two of paint on so the trim can go in on Monday. Carpet the following week… and new reclining leather sofa and love seat comes on December 3rd! We picked it out on my birthday 🙂 Soooo comfy.
- Just about finished a pretty spoooky book – Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. You have to check the book trailer – very well done.
- We had our first snow last week. It was so fun watching Alex race around the house all excited. Re-living all these special times through the eyes of a child is priceless. The snow only lasted a few hours, but I’m sure it’s going to be here to stay before long.
- I’ve been teaching Alex Christmas carols – he likes Jingle Bells, Away in a Manger, and Santa Clause is Coming to Town. He likes to breakdance to them… even though my singing is not even close to rapping.
- Tomorrow I’m presenting at a conference called KULT – Keeping up with Library Technology on QR Codes. Kinda nervous – wish me luck! Speaking of smart phones… anyone else get iPhone finger? My pointer is seriously sore – I think I need to give Angry Birds a break.
A few pics of our “Spidy Man”
Guarding the Candy
A few miscellaneous shots of my boys…
Giddy Up Dada!!
Mason in his glory - you can pretty much see him smiling
Hanging with the guys in Uncle Mike's new barn.
Well – I missed Tuesday, so here are my tidbits on Thursday – it is Thursday isn’t it?
- On Monday we started having our basement drywalled! I’m quite excited about having more space for the boy to run around – and a tv room that we can turn surround on and not wake Alex up. We had special sound proofing insulation put in the ceiling to prevent sound echoing through the house. But the dust… seriously. What. A. Mess! We are hoping to have our Christmas tree up down there, so carpet is being selected, couches are being browsed and paint is being pondered.
- Halloween. Well – there were some fun times… but sadly due to a lack of a nap, Alex had a melt down around 5:30 – he wanted to start tick or treating, but our neighours don’t start until 6 – so tantrum city people. We almost didn’t go out. Then more melt downs at bed time. Tuesday wasn’t any better – mainly due to a nap from 4:30 – 6pm. So last night I got smart and kept Alex up after the sitters with the promise of “pop” (fizzy water) and a few pieces of Halloween candy. He slept from 8-7:30. Sweet.
- I’m finally finishing the Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. So good so far. I just wish the book wasn’t so heavy… I would read longer but my wrists get sore. Guess I need an eReader!
- I’m going to the US shopping this weekend! So excited! We are going with some neighbours to Great Lakes Crossing in Michigan… and I aim to go to… Target! I’ve never been… Should be fabulous. My mom and Matt’s parents are taking turns watching Alex (and Mason) … love grandparents!
- I’ve also started my holiday shopping – have you? I’m going to my first Christmas store open house tonight with some girlfriends – I’m really looking forward to the beauty, scents, tastes, and love of the season.
- This week I received a wonderful treat. I requested infant pictures of Alex (like my friend Sandra did)… and got 10!!! I am so overwhelmed with gratitude that we have these 10 precious pictures. I’m not sure how old he is in the pictures, but I’m guessing a month or two. He’s so tiny, and sweaty… and has a recognizable hairline 🙂 When I opened the email I was in instant tears. It was almost like receiving a referral again. A real cherished treasure.
- Today is it… the last day of being 34. Tomorrow’s my birthday, and I’m starting to get used to the idea of the number 35…. While I would love to be 29 again, I also wouldn’t change anything in the last 6 years.