Tell it like it is Tuesday

Let me just say, I’m so glad the last 5 days are over.  They have been rough.  So I’m going to whine a little – hope you don’t mind. 

On Thursday morning when Alex woke up he was a little warm, so we gave him some medicine to bring down the slight fever and then sent him to the sitters.  I would have loved to stay home with him, but we had a big day – I was taking Matt to have lasik eye surgery done! The surgery went very well and Matt now has 20-20 vision.   While I would love to have it done myself, I cannot get over the whole flap thing. Gives me the heebie jeebies.   I picked up Alex later in the afternoon, and didn’t realize until we were home that there was no Puppy. And you all know what that means. Screams, cries, panic.  And within the 7 min it took for us to get home, the sitter went out – and did not return for 3 hours.  Let me just say those were a long three hours.  Also Alex’s fever was back – so some more fever reducing meds and once puppy was home, safe and sound, Alex went to bed.  But he was up – numerous times in the night – eventually making his way into our bed (a very bad routine we have gotten into – but are trying to stop).

Friday morning, Alex woke with a fever of 102 – not cool. I was supposed to be driving Matt to a checkup on his eyes back in Waterloo (about a 25 min drive from our house) – but obviously I could not send Alex to the sitters, so we called in Matt’s parents to drive Matt to his appointment instead.  Forgot to mention there was a massive snow storm happening (we get a lot of snow streamers off of Lake Huron).  The forecast said 2-4cm, but seriously I think we got a foot. They got there and back fine, but Alex’s fever didn’t want to go away. And you know what that means – a whiny, cranky little boy (with good reason), but also lots of cuddles.  (Alex was also up numerous times in the night – and in our bed… sigh).

Saturday since Alex was feeling better, we decided we all needed to get some fresh air.  We went down to Winterfest, a yearly festival in Stratford.  The only issue was that it was -12 celsius, plus windchill – that is pretty damn cold.  We did get in a train ride, bought some apple fritters, and tried out the hockey slap shot game.  But at that game, Alex insisted on removing his gloves… and he fell in the snow… ensue the screaming and crying… for another 15 minutes.  The rest of the day went on like that – crying, whining, all out tantrums… I was losing my mind.  Don’t worry – I enjoyed a glass (or two) of wine to help with the whine once Alex was in bed.

Sunday (after a couple of early morning tantrums)  we started out with a fun activity – Matt reserved the gym at his school and we had some of Alex’s 2-3 yr old friends and their parents come for some play.  It was great – the kids ran around, played hockey, kicked the balls, and just had a blast.  After nap time, Alex woke up crying and inconsolable.  It seriously took almost 30 min for him to calm down.  A few more tantrums and hissy fits were had… (only one my me)… it was a trying day.  But by 6pm I started coming down with a cold – one of my famous sinus colds.  Joy oh bliss.  That night Alex woke at 12:30, and came into our room.  But instead of just sleeping through the night, he was up almost every hour tossing and turning, saying ow, ow ow – for no reason that we could figure (except that he had not had a bowel movement since Friday).  So at 4:30am, Matt took him back to his bed where he slept until 6:30.  Yeah!

Monday… I woke up feeling like &^#@. But I had soooo much work to do at work that I went in anyhow.  Honestly it felt kinda like a vacation.  I warned the sitters and after some crying when I left (which isn’t normal), Alex was great.  But then Matt picked him up at 4:30 and once they stepped in the door to our house Alex cried and cried until almost 5:20 when I got home.  Let me just say it wasn’t a pretty sight.  He did calm down eventually… and after a late bedtime (had some guests arrive at 7), Alex slept… all night… in his bed… no wakeups.  I don’t think this has happened since September.  It was divine. 

And today – for the most part, Alex has been in great spirits! Not sure if it was the prune juice on Monday or what, but our boy is back giggling and laughing.  Still the occasional “terrible two” moment, but hey – he’s two!  I’m sure I jinxed our sleep tonight by talking about last night… but fingers crossed that I haven’t.

I seriously hope your weekend was a lot better than ours!

19 responses

  1. Isn’t it amazing how 2.5 year olds can reduce our patience to nil? I am glad to hear that Alex seems to be feeling better. How awesome that he had such a great sleep last night. I hope it is the start of a trend!

  2. Oh, Krista! That definitely sounds like a rough few days. I’m hoping this week is much much better and that all the sickness is gone!

  3. you’ve had quite a tough run lately. i certainly hope this week is a better one for you as you certainly deserve it!
    and i hear ya on the flap. even though i had lasik done i hated when they talked about it. they kept bugging glenn to come watch my procedure on the tv that they had in the office, but he just kept saying, “hell no!” 🙂

  4. When will this smart society will find a cure for the common cold? I’m fighting one presently. You seem to be doing fine. Families can be fun at times.

  5. Oh my! Well I’m glad you all survived! Poppy usually gets like that during the recovery period after an illness.

    And I’d love to tell you that it gets better after the terrible two’s, but so far our experience with the three’s has been even more challenging!

  6. Krista – you MUST get the surgery. Just schedule and DO IT! I did it but you cannot think about it. It was THE best thing I have ever done in my life, besides get married and have a kiddo of course.
    Hope everyone is better soon.

  7. What a weekend! Yikes! I’m sure this coming weekend has to top last weekend, if that’s any consolation. Being sick sucks. I hope you’re feeling better by now, and maybe Alex has slept another whole night in his own bed (?). Don’t feel bad about him coming to your bed. Seriously. If it’s working, don’t sweat it. If it’s not working, it can be changed eventually. Keep the wine flowing, and know that you are not the only one experiencing days like those. Oh – and what a great idea to reserve the school gym for the kiddos!!

  8. Crappy weekend! Don’t worry too much about the sleeping in bed with you. I do that with the twins from time to time too. You gotta do what you gotta do when it is 3am and you need some sleep too! Just remember, he won’t still be sleeping there when he is 10 so don’t beat yourself up!

  9. OK – that sounds like a *really* crappy run there. YIKES. It’s amazing how the whining can just cut. right. through. you. No?! UGH. Hugs my friend, hugs. I hope the week has turned around for you…

  10. Holy crap, that’s a bad couple of days Krista. I’m so sorry! I do hope things have turned around and that Alex and you are healthy and he’s sleeping better (in his own bed 🙂 Hugs!

  11. Ugh…talk about a BAD week?! I’m sorry. We’ve also had some major cry-fests around here lately when D suddenly wakes up (wayyyy too early) from his naps. He cries for a long time…like he just just so sad…but then suddenly it stops. Toddlers…the ups…the downs. I’m sorry you are sick. All 3 of us have colds again…fun.

  12. you guys have had a rough go that past couple of days. i know i’m late commenting here, but i hope by now things are looking up and you are all having an awesome weekend!

  13. Oh Krista!! I didn’t know you were having such a rough time:( I hope things are better for you all now. Sorry to hear Alex was sick. The whining is something that wears on my nerves when X is having a hard time. Oy. Always have the wine handy!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s